Jack Wang’s Status Report for 3/30/24

Personal Accomplishments:

1. Radar and Integration (9 hrs): I continued working on radar and integration this week. While plotting the data points from the radar, I realized that it was plotting with delays. I suspected that was due to Pi’s performance and caused by plotting along, not the actual detection speed. I verified this by setting the radar to different baud rates. After raising the baud rate, the lagging during plotting still existed. However, when testing with just print statements, it seemed that we were getting data fast enough, prompting me to believe that this was just due to the Pi’s performance on plotting. I also kept working on radar tuning, processing the data the way that we wanted. I discussed with my team again on when to trigger the Blind Spot Warning or the Rare Collision Warning. We came down to a plan that we only trigger the RCW when there is an object directly behind the bike (i.e., the x-coordinate is +/- 3m from the bike). All objects in the other areas will trigger BSW based on their location. This was a bit simple compared to the “drawing box” method that we were thinking of last week. This should also reduce my workload on tuning the parameters. I do not have a visualizable demo for such progress yet, but I have been modifying the code to play around with the output of the radar. I also adjusted the wiring of the hardware setup, since now we have more devices connected to the Pi.
  2. Interim Demo Plans (3 hrs): I spent some time thinking about my part of the interim demo that is coming up next week. I will be demoing the radar, so I planned for a similar plotting setup like the one shown last week. However, I will add some flags to let the user see which kind of warning is triggered. I met with Jason and Johnny to discuss how to present our work during the demo. The focus will be on individual parts of the project for now, meaning that we will start integration after the demo.

Progress:

The radar tuning took longer than I expected last week, so I am a bit behind on that. However, the basic implementation will be done before Monday. I might need more time to do the tests. The integration should also start this coming week, so I am not terribly behind schedule. I am still able to manage my work given the current slack time.  We have also adjusted the plan (please see the group’s status report) so that the downstream task will not be affected by the delay.

Next Week:

1. Continuation of radar tuning
  2. Radar & UI Integration