Zina’s Status Report for 2/17/24

This week we were still in a very preliminary phase of researching/purchasing/planning before we can begin work on our implementation. We settled on the IP camera to order, ordered it, and reserved an RPi. I also did some research on Addressable LED Arduino projects and will be placing an order for Addressable LEDs in the next few days. Lastly, I worked with my teammates to finalize our design plans regarding the overall testing approach. With these ideas in mind, we worked on our Design Review presentation to summarize our current plans for the implementation and testing approaches.

In the next week, Ankita and I will get the RPi hooked up to the IP camera over WiFi to make sure that we can receive/process video footage in real time. We will then test the camera for things like image quality, data transfer latency to RPi, and battery life. I will also begin working on the Arduino code that can take in incoming information packets (simulated for now, but eventually from the RPi) and translate them into corresponding changes for the Addressable LEDs. Before I can actually begin coding, though, I need to determine a rigorous set of rules regarding should be legal/illegal for our light control system to do. Once the code is working, I will breadboard the Arduino to some standard LEDs to simulate a four-way intersection for testing.