Kaitlyn’s Status Report for 2/10/24

Work Done

At the beginning of the week I helped finalize parts of the Proposal Presentation slides.

This week I set up the Github and started researching the traffic API that we will use. I looked into the TomTom traffic API and set up a developer account and API key and was able to make some requests to the API in Postman to see what data we could get. The following image shows a successful response using coordinates for the Fifth and Craig intersection.

I also looked into the Google Maps API and don’t think that it seems very useful for our optimization purposes since it seems to mostly provide visual data instead of quantitative data such as speeds or density of cars in an area. The Google Maps API is also more expensive, so I don’t think we will be using it.

Schedule

I am on schedule for this week, since I did most of the research for the traffic APIs and I plan to finish the optimization algorithm research on Sunday before the deadline scheduled on Monday.

Tasks This Week

• Finish researching traffic APIs, since the more data we can get the better.
  • I will be looking into queueing theory as well since someone mentioned that during our project proposal presentation for ensuring there are no cars permanently waiting for a light to change.
  • Research optimization algorithm.
  • After that, the rest of the week I will be completing the API implementation and also starting the ML model for the optimization algorithm.