Jae’s Status Report for 4/6/24

Given that this week was the interim demo, the days leading up to it was pretty packed with work. A lot of this has been tweaking numbers, setting up the environment, and debugging. That said, there is not much to show in terms of progress. What I personally worked on to debug was preventing the tracking algorithm from being distracted by buggy detection. Our current color detection is not the best, especially in bad lighting conditions. An ideal detection would output a bounding box for every couple frames of the feed, but our current detection outputs maybe 3-5 accurate boxes per lap. This meant that the motors had to be stable through wrong bounding boxes as well as infrequent boxes. To disallow the effects of a wrong bounding box, I set the code so that motors are only controlled when bounding boxes are within certain dimensions and locations. Because bounding boxes were not as frequent as desired, I also set the motor angle to pan multiple degrees when detecting a bounding box outside of the center of the frame. In an ideal world, this would be minimal degrees because we would have frequent boxes to keep updating.

My progress is on schedule. I have finished up the tracking task for the most part and have started debugging on integration and fine tuning the controls.

Next week, I hope to start working on tracking on the final demo track configuration.