Yufei’s Status Report for 03/16/2024

What I did the week before

My last week was spent testing the camera.

What I did this week

The week was spent on fixing issues with establishing the software bridge to the kinect one camera, as promised in the last report.

On Monday we got our Kria260 board, thanks AMD/Xilinx! That also means that we’ll need to adjust the frameworks we use to the versions compatible with kria. Hence we decided to use ROS 2 and I went ahead to set up an ROS 2 environment and began building the kinect libraries in it. However, the iai_kinect2 library is no longer being actively maintained and does not work with ROS 2. So I had to find an incorrectly and partially ported-to-ROS 2 version of it (`kinect2_ros2`) and spent a couple of nights fixing build issues and bugs related to it.

On Thursday, I was able to establish the software bridge between kria and the kinect one camera. Then I started to calibrate the camera, which involves using a visualization framework. However, due to AMD’s OpenGL driver issues, I wasn’t able to fix it until I wrote this post.

What I plan to be doing next week

The next step will be getting the visualization framework up and running so that we can use it to calibrate the camera.

I will also be building the octomap receiving part of the perception module.