Shubhi’s Status Report for 4/6

Achievements

We went to Scotty’s Market and gathered more footage data for developing and testing purposes at Salem’s Market. We also finished integrating all the existing modules to be able to provide an output based on some footage we currently have. I also finished redoing the fullness acquisition module to use edge detection and improve accuracy for cart fullness. I used edge detection and contours to figure out the area occupied by the items within in the cart, and then after playing with the numbers I worked on increasing its accuracy. I also have been talking to Salem’s about getting permission to install our system in the market, and he brought up concerns about it impacting his business and some safety concerns, for which he wants to meet in person to talk about. I also got permission from him to borrow a few carts from Scotty’s Market for our in person demo, so we will be able to set up a realistic system for our demo in person as well.

After talking to Salem’s market, I need to schedule a meeting with the owner in person, and he requested that our advisor come as well, due to his concerns about the way this system will impact his business. His biggest concern is how cameras make people of minority groups feel, as well as if he were to give access to his pre-installed cameras, whether the security would be compromised. I hope to resolve this issue in the following week so that we can move on with more testing, but in the meantime, I am working on solidifying the modules to be more accurate, and I think based on our new daily plan we are on track.