Shubhi’s Status Report for 4/20

Achievements

I worked on increasing accuracy on cashier throughput, worked through different approaches and implemented them and test them out for the most accurate approach for our use case. After that, I worked on a module that determined when a person was done with the line, for which I also did a little bit of testing. We also went to Salem’s and I created structures to attach the cameras to so that cameras could be in position for our system around the checkout counters. At Salem’s I also gathered more data to individually test the fullness acquisition module for accuracy.

Each individual component is working, and our system is also running end to end, but we are running into issues with testing at Salem’s due to concerns employees have been having with the cameras we set up. We are in the process of working something out with Salem’s but it is limiting the amount of testing we can do right now. I think the next big thing is to work on demoing and testing in a self constructed grocery checkout lane setup.

New Experiences and Learning Strategies

During this project I have gained a lot of new skills. One of the biggest ones is learning to train a model for object detection, which I learned from examples and articles online. Another thing that I learned to do was use a SQL database. I never took a class on it, so I relied on documentation and sites like stack overflow to help me achieve the goals I had for the database in the project. A lot of times for these new skills I relied on researching what I wanted to achieve to see if anyone had ever done something similar, and adapt from that to accomplish what I wanted to.