Shubhi’s Status Report for 2/24/2024

Accomplishments

I worked on the software implementation for the architecture, ensuring that the directory is organized well and that the design of the software covers all the functions needed. Every module has been fleshed out as to what its purpose is to the overall goal, as well as how the modules will communicate with each other. Also, I was working on integrating openCV with the directory, researching on using OpenCV with C++ since I had only used it with Python before, and am also working on integrating YOLO into the project. There are some articles on how to use YOLO with C++, so I read them and feel more confident with using it in the project. I also placed an order for a camera, so that I can do live testing with the detection implementation.

Currently I am still building up the software, but hopefully by next week I will have some sort of item counting detection running to test. I underestimated how much time it would take for me to research and learn about implementing YOLO with OpenCV, but I also have now figured that I am going to need to use more edge detection related algorithms specifically for the item counting, in which case I am going to have to do a little bit more research there. I am not super confident in the item detection working, but I have a good idea on how to implement it, so we will see by the end of the week.