Brian’s Status Report for 2/24

Accomplishments

This week, I mostly worked on preparing for the design presentation that happened this Wednesday, since I was the presenter this time around. After this, I got some rudimentary work done on the software side of our project, getting a branch set up on our team’s Github repository. I am now attempting to detect when a hand is in contact with an item based off webcam footage, but I haven’t found a working solution to this yet. I am currently using YOLO for object detection because I realized it might be more promising than trying to figure out when a hand is grabbing an item with a custom algorithm. I’ve read a little into the HPS OpenCL guide in order to make myself a little more familiar with the framework as I will be working with Simon after break on the FPGA side of things for our project, but mainly focusing on software for now. 

I am still a bit behind schedule as I have not fully implemented a working algorithm for detecting when someone picks up and puts down an item yet. I will very likely be working on the software implementation during spring break should I still be behind next week, as I want to make sure we can integrate our system after with no delays. However, to catch up for next week, I will read more into YOLO/OpenCV documentation to see if there are things I can try in getting hand contact with items to be recognized by the algorithm, and attempt implementing those solutions. I’ve already searched a bit to see what types of algorithms I could use but haven’t found an idea that seems truly feasible/efficient yet.