Grace’s Status Report 2/24/2024

This week I continued working with the LiDAR data to generate a mesh 3D model for our project. I developed code to filter the data by removing points that are outside of bounds to improve the accuracy of the resulting model. Additionally, I immplemented code to simulate the process of taking slices of a room at different heights. To test the functionality, I captured a horizontal slice of my room using the LiDAR and replicated it used various z values to generate a a point cloud. I used PyVista to create a triangulated surface from the points and saved the resulting mesh to an STL file, which can be used for integration with our web application. This week, I also worked with my team to start the design report.

The progress made in processing data and generating the mesh is currently on schedule. Next week, I aim to improve the model by using code to fill in gaps present in the data and refine the mesh using PyVista to achieve a smoother surface. I also hope to find a way to combine data from the LiDAR when it is placed at different locations in the room.