Alana’s Status Report for 2/17/24

Personal Accomplishments:

This week the group as a whole received feedback on actually integrating the data collection from our rplidar scanner into the system as soon as possible so we’d have a clearer idea of how everything would work together for design review. We got this pretty early on this week. My plan for the week was to make the sketches of the UI to start prototyping next week. However, I decided that my time would be better spent helping the others with getting the rplidar scanner output. After that, I spent the rest of the week just researching the best ways of implementing that data into the UI. I looked into packages like PyVista and Three.js, open sources packages designed to display 3D data. I hope to use this to research to help with the prototyping phase coming up. I did manage to pick Next.js as my web app base and used the React component library Shadecn to get it up and running.

Progress:

I plan to use the Shadecn to easily build a presentable interface that I can go back and edit as needed. UI is built around function as much as form. While having detailed plans for the UI would have been nice, but with us still being in the early stages of our project, I realized the exact design specs I needed the UI to account for kept changing, making designing for it difficult. I’ve decided to keep the UI as basic as possible so I can easily change it as the needs from the hardware parts of the design change. I plan to make a more cohesive look once all the my frontend and backend integration  is done.

Despite this, I’m actually still on schedule as this week was my time for planning and research. I just focused more on the research part. As I move into making the prototype, I hope to start actually building the basic functionality of the UI (going to doing to different pages, getting buttons to work, etc.) and see if I can get it to integrate with the rplidar scanner’s output data.

Schedule Status: On time.

Next Week’s Deliverables:

Next week I hope to start actually building the basic functionality of the website and establish the connection between it and the rplidar scanner so the website can access that data. That way we can build off it for the 3D models of the room later on.