Gary’s Status Report for 23 March 2024

This week, I helped Carson and Twain assemble our dev board (I mainly did the through-hole components), and spent a while working with Carson to get that board working as well as our breadboard prototype. I also worked on getting our microcontroller’s real-time clock working, and got it to the point where we have a working clock and calendar but was unable to get the wakeup timer working… this should be fine, but it’s a bit irritating (the library we’re using follows the wakeup timer initialization routine listed in the manual to a T, but it loops endlessly waiting for something to start).

Also, I worked with Carson to get a very basic map drawing program working! This uses data we processed from OpenStreetMap, and uses the standard Web Mercator map projection. The projection of the lines from lat/lon into Web Mercator coordinates happens when we process the raw data, and then the watch just transforms this to screen-space coordinates. Currently the map data is just stored in flash, but this is temporary (I’m gonna get the SD card working soon)

Pacing

I’m about on pace.

Planning

Next week, I want to improve the mapping mainly: goals are getting the map to center on the current location (and show a marker), and get the SD card working for logging and loading map data.