Myles’s Status Report for 4/20

Personal Accomplishments:

• Lab Meetings (4 hrs ):
    • Fixed and integrated Bluetooth communication between the track and carrier microcontroller with hall effect sensor
  • Indiviudual Work (6 hrs):
    • Met with TA and worked individually debugging Bluetooth communication
  • Team Meetings
    • finalized final presentation poster and plans for the final demo video
    • coordinated with the team for CAD decisions.

Progress:

This week I worked on debugging the Bluetooth communication between our carrier and track microcontrollers. I had issues reading the bytes I was receiving from the microcontroller that was processing the readings for the hall effect sensors. When i would do to read the bytes being sent I would receive decimal values that exceed the expected values for ASCII. When i would try to convert these bytes to a string the serial monitor would give me bogus output. I checked my circuit setup multiple times and ensured I had paired my HC05 modules correctly and found that the issue was resolved when I replaced the receiving HC05 with a spare. Mostly a component within the HC05 stopped working.

When it came specifically to debugging Bluetooth communication, the Arduino blogs were most helpful, where people would document issues that seemed very similar to mine. Generally reading technology blogs when it came to finding tutorials was also very helpful as well. I generally found the blogs to be more helpful than the videos I came across because the steps were much more heavily documented and often times steps were skipped when it came to creating the video. While I tried implementing the solutions found on the Arduino blogs what really helped me, was going through systematically and replacing components in the circuit. The tutorials only on the blog sites were helpful for high-level understanding

Next Week Deliverable:

Add additional functionality with Bluetooth to enable the carrier to propel based on signals alone.