Emanuel’s Status Report for 4/6

Personal Accomplishment:

Mandatory Lab (4 hrs)

• Interim Demo
  • Discuss adjustments needed from interim demo for final demo

Design Research and Self Time (8 hrs)

• Create small circuitry to prepare for demo
  • Started working on timing aspect for start and stop system

Progress:

I started working on the timing aspect for the start and stop system. I was able to deal with the issue of the coil heating up by limiting the time the coil is on to 1/10th of a second, and can confirm by holding the coil with my hand for long periods of time to make sure it stops heating up. Certain aspects, such as the carrier and the track not being printed, have caused a little delay in not being able to continue working on the timing aspect of the start and stop system. For now, I am manually pushing the carrier at a speed I believe is reasonable for the carrier to be traveling, in order to set boundaries such as the distance it takes for the linear hall effect sensor to detect change in magnetic field, the time it would take from detecting the change to tell the coil to either turn off, or to turn back on, etc. I also made a new coil since I realized when running tests with previous coils that there was a really strong reaction from the core of the coil, and would attract and repel a magnet at a stronger rate than before. I also made sure the coil didn’t slopply overlap a layer so then it would produce a stronger magnetic field.

Schedule:

We are on schedule, we are just waiting for the carrier and track to be printed