Oscar’s Status Report for Mar 18

• What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or
    photos that demonstrate your progress.

This week I integrated the gyroscope chip into my synthesizer. Specifically, now the volume is now controlled by the pitch angle of the gyroscope chip instead of the vertical position of the cursor. I spent quite some time researching the Arduino library for the gyro IC. I have tried AdaFruit_MPU6050 and MPU6050_light, but these do not have the required angular accuracy. In the end, I used Tiny_MPU6050, which contains a calibration function that makes the angle readings much more reliable. After that, I integrated the readings from Arduino into my synthesizer using the serial python library, normalized it, and used it as my volume parameter. Here is a demo video.

• Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be
    taken to catch up with the project schedule.

I am on schedule. However, because of the ethics discussion next week, I might spend some extra hours in the lab next weekend.

• What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?

After mapping the pitch angle to the volume, I will mainly focus on implementing real time frequency bend next week and controlling it with the roll angle of the gyroscope IC.