Kelly’s Status Report for 4/1

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or photos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours). 

This week, I took a deep dive into integrating pitch detection with our web app and also figuring out what signal processing needs to be done. 

First and foremost, I got the pitch detection algorithm to work alongside our website! Our website is now able to display a pitch in Hz while the user is singing.

The problem with the RIFF header was resolved by passing in the following to a new wav file: number of channels, frame rate, sample width, and frames that had been written by the Media Recorder API. 

After this was successful, I started to look into doing some preprocessing on the audio and what exactly we want to filter. For now, we get the last valid pitch (i.e not 0 Hz and less than 1000 Hz) and pass that pitch to the web interface.

One pitfall I did not expect was that I had been recording in GarageBand using their input monitoring and so by extension all signals were preprocessed. However, after removing the input monitoring and testing the same recorded audio on our website in real time vs on our pitch tracking algorithm after the fact, I came to the realization that we will also need a low pass filter to block pitches < 100 Hz.

As integration took most of my time this week, testing has been limited to singing into our interface, changing notes, and seeing if the pitch on screen changes depending on if I go higher or lower. Additionally, there was a small error that would cause aubio to crash that was removed. 

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule? 

According to the Gantt chart, I’m integrating pitch detection to the website. Therefore, I’m right on schedule.

Next week I hope to have more robust tests on the pitch tracker for the website and a plan to deal with how much preprocessing needs to be done on our input signal.