Kelly’s Status Report for 3/25

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or photos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours). 

This week, I ramped up to the web application interface and started to integrate pitch detection with our web application. 

Integrating pitch detection with the current setup proved to be extremely difficult and I spent the majority of my time this week trying to debug these issues. First, my pitch detection algorithm needed an actual .wav file stored on disk, so I figured out that I could make use of Django’s built in storage in order to satisfy this, which worked well. Then, the file format wasn’t being read correctly so I read up on exactly how a .wav file is formatted and how our current setup is formatting the .wav file chunks. In short, a .wav file has something known as a RIFF header that details what exactly is in the .wav file for easy reading. Where I believe our current setup is going wrong is the ‘size of data’ section as the web application is essentially making an encoding of bytes and interpreting the file as a .wav file. However, this encoding of bytes that correspond to the users’ voice doesn’t have this detailed RIFF header that most .wav files do and therefore cannot be read by my pitch detector.

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule? 

This week I’m supposed to be integrating pitch detection into our web app so I’m on schedule :).

What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week? 

Next week, I hope to figure out how to deal with this missing RIFF header issue and if not pivot the web application to submit a fully formatted .wav file to the backend after all vocal recording is done.