CJ’s Status Report for 3/18/2023

This week we have hit the ground running. I gathered some materials to build the frame for our golf course and I am planning to start building this on Sunday. We have a bunch of wood to build a frame and to set up the course.

Personally, I spent most of my time working with the IMU. Configuring the blue tooth turned out to be harder than expected but after a bit of trial and error, I was able to successfully transmit some Bluetooth data from the IMU to my phone via a bluetooth app. (Not one that we created, just a developer bluetooth setup).

I was also able to write some code to utilize the IMU. With some tape I fixed it to a putter and was able to track the swing path as I brought the club back and then forward. I am hoping that by Monday I can have a program to say whether the user accelerated, decelerated, or stayed constant through the ball with their putt.

I would say overall that our progress is on track but we definitely missed Erik this week. This upcoming week will be a big one with the build of the course plus the integration of the bluetooth into the webapp. Another goal for this upcoming week is to have a working version 1.0 of the ball, we have identified a 3D model that we are printing to allow us to have a hollow shell that we will fill with sensors. For now making this ball mimic a real golf ball will be a nice to have in the future, but, with our schedule we may end up with a ball that does not roll perfectly.

As stated above, our biggest risk area is going to be the ball, we unfortunately had a long period of correspondence with a supplier of rubber ball shells that did not work out. The 3D printed model provides a bit of uncertainty with durabliity but I am confident we can test and find out how to maximize that balls performance.