CJ’s Status Report for 3/25/2023

This week was quite productive.

After our ethics lecture we sat down to figure out the remaining details of the project. All our materials have been gathered and we ordered the last of our components. These included some felt for our putting green, a few more IMUs, and the RFID tags.

Personally, I spent some time working with the LiDAR sensor to create a better ball detection program. So far so good, however, the testing has limitations in the space I was in. Last week I started building the course but we are meeting at my house on Sunday as team to finish the frame of the course and bring it to campus Monday. Once we have that complete, we will be able to begin integration.

The remainder of my week was spent on bluetooth debugging. Turns out, bluetooth is quite difficult. The built in package that was supplied to us from the manufacturers of the MCU with BLE and the IMU was deprecated and was unable to compile, after some head scratching and some stack overflowing, I decided to just start from scratch. I created my own implementation and was able to successfully pair with both my phone and a computer.

Small change in our implementation is due to some of the things I discovered with the bluetooth, it does not send data very fast, so, we are now planning to do a lot of the IMU preprocessing on the MCU to generate a quick and easy JSON output that can be fed into either a laptop or a raspberry pi. This JSON will take the data from the IMU and convert it into velocity to send to the laptop or pi.

We also were able to mount an IMU on the putter and hope to do detailed tests this upcoming week.

Overall, we are on schedule, but we sure have some testing to do. I think these coming weeks will be fun, challenging, and long, however, I am ready to attack this project with a sight at the finish line.