Qiaoan’s Status Report for 02/25/2023

This week:

1. Working on the design of the steering wheel’s shell. I plan to make it in two parts: one is a container that hold all the components inside and has handles to let users use it, the other one is a cover that defines the position of buttons, joysticks and the screen. One small issue is that we still need to create pedals behind the steering wheel. I havn’t figured out how to install them on our product but I think some holes behind it should work. The picture below shows the base I planned to hold every components inside.

It takes me some time to recap knowledge about Fusion360 to build 3D models. Then I generated the design above with around 280mm width, 200mm height, and 22mm depth. Those numbers can be changed easily in modern CAD software so it won’t take much time to modify them.
    The next step will be 3D printing to test the feasibility of the inital design sketch. It will take some time to print the design during the weekend and I will keep testing and revise the design.
  2. The team has decided to use Adafruit’s TDK InvenSense ICM-20948 9-DoF IMU (link: https://www.adafruit.com/product/4554). Using product from adafruit should be a reliable choice. I read its document and I think it’s feasible to implement our product based on it. If there is no feedback against this I think I will place order on this. While waiting the order to be shipped I will keep working on the 3D modeling.
  3. I reviewed the feedback from the design presentation and I realized some problems we have for the design and test procesures. I would like to answer them and discuss about solutions during meetings next week.
  4. For team work assignments change and team shortfalls, I think my knowledge background can help me deal with some work of two other members. I have CS minor so the software part of Yuxuan should not be a big challenge for me and as an ECE student my hardware knowledge should be enough to do some simple tasks of Xiao like wiring. If they get into problems I can help them with less difficult tasks to give them more time to focus on critical ones. For those critical tasks of my teammates that might go beyond my knowledge, I can discuss with them to see if my suggestion can be a hint to them. We havn’t decided to make big design changes yet so the team work assignments are not changed much, though we need to change something during testing and verification part but I think many of those tasks require us to work together to accodinate different parts.