Ian F’s Status Report for 2/18

My task for this week consisted in developing ideas pertaining to the physical aspects of our system. So, this week I spent the majority of my time researching components and parts we would need to complete our project as well as ways to link them all together. We have decided to use IR sensors and I have proposed the use of either the Sharp GP2Y0A02YK or the Sharp GP2Y0A21YK0F. Both these sensors work much in the same way however their distance detection ranges differ with the former having more range than the latter. Theses sensors were considered in the first place given that they are quite easy to work with and simple to interface with other pieces of hardware we are considering.

From this research, we have decided that the hardware module attached to the gym equipment will consist of our IR sensor connected to a Nodemcu and a power supply to power both of these. We have opted for Nodemcu due to the fact that it is a low-cost and open-source IoT platform that’s based on other components we thought of initially like the ESP8266 chip. This module will be interfaced with a Raspberry Pi which will handle the IoT component of our design.

In addition, I surveyed the University Center’s gym to get a feel of the machines and equipment we will be basing our design on. We will be using treadmills, stationary bikes and stair climbers as our base. I noted the models and styles of the machines and based on these observations I believe it would be best to attach our physical module to a mount that works like a phone bike mount does. Many of these machines have a lot of tubes to which we could secure or module. Therefore an adjustable design with rigidity in mind is optimal to ensure our sensor is always properly positioned. Below is a picture of a possible template for our design of the physical encasement of our hardware module.

For next week I am aiming to polish the details of these physical modules before placing any orders. I need to consider the power consumption and other physical aspects of our module like weight among others to strengthen our design. Based on this research, I will consult with my teammates and decide which process would be best to fabricate our modules (3D printing, carving, or off the shelf solutions, etc.) In addition I want to have the communication protocols of our modules clearly planned out before moving forward with our orders.

Considering that our design is quite new compared to other groups, perhaps we might be a bit behind in terms of schedule. Nonetheless, based on what our team has discussed, this week’s progress seems satisfactory and we will work to keep the pace for next week. We understand that our process since the beginning of the course has been rocky and constantly shifting so much emphasis must be placed in terms of progress for the upcoming weeks.