Vivian’s Status Report for 2/12

9This past week I completed my slides for the proposal presentation and gave the proposal. From the feedback of this presentation, we decided we either need to determine a more accurate way to detect user breath or pivot to another use case. One option I researched this week was pivoting to start with a clarinet controller instead of a flute controller. We wouldn’t need to include the breath detection with a clarinet, but it would require more keys. I also did research to determine the number of buttons for both the flute and the clarinet, and the essential fingerings for each. I now know how many buttons we need to order when we make a decision on the instrument to create. I’ve researched the sensors we’re planning to use: including buttons, a gyroscope, and a microphone. I’m planning on ordering these sensors on Monday, after discussing with the team and letting our TA know.

I’m slightly behind where I originally wanted to be (because we haven’t yet ordered all our sensors), but after shifting around the schedule a bit to account for this, I’m still on track.

I hope to finalize the design decisions next week for the physical controller in order to complete our design presentation. I’d like to be certain about the woodwind instrument we’re creating, the layout of the physical controller (including where the buttons will be placed), and the specific sensors we’re going to start with.