Raymond Ngo’s Status Report for 3/19

I was able to modify test images to isolate red portions of the image. From there, I was also able to easily obtain the outer edges using the canny edge detector. Isolating red portions of the image is necessary for the development of the computer vision system because the meat is red and the canny edge detection on an unmodified image does not return a clean outer border around the meat. (shown below)

The main issue I need to get solved by next week to remain on track is to figure out why the blob detector cv function does not work well with the processed binary image (shown below). Otherwise, I am on track to complete a significant portion of the width detection and blob detection algorithms.

The reason preprocessing needs to be done on the image is that meat usually is not on a white background like this. Therefore, necessary distractions must be removed for a more accurate detection of the material.

By next week, some form of blob detection must work on this test image, and ideally one other more crowded image.

Test image used
Successful conversion to binary image, unsuccessful attempt to get simpleblobdetector or contour functions to recognize this
Successful use of canny. Without the processing beforehand, the edge would not be this clean.