Joseph Jang’s Status Report for 2/12

For this week, I looked into the design of robotic arms.  I looked into the different types of robotic joints that can be used.  I will use a stepper motor for the base joint of the robot, and then use 3 servo motors, which I am still deciding between the torque of two different motors – the MG996R servo (10 kg-cm) versus the Zoskay servo (35 kg-cm).  While the Zoskay is most definitely overkill and expensive, I am curious if the weight it can handle and I also have never used it.  However, there are probably MG996R servo motors that we can borrow as a team, so it would help us save our budget.  I also ordered parts from the ECE 500 Inventory and picked them up, which are the NEMA 17 Stepper Motor,  DM542T Stepper Driver, and 2 cameras for the Jetson AGX Xavier (ARDUCAM UC-698 REV. B and  e-CAM50_CUNX/NANO) I also requested a blue crate from Techspark.  I have read over the next Design assignment guidance to help assign tasks for the upcoming design presentation.  We hope to review the system architecture with a faculty member ASAP.  But by Friday of next week, I hope to have the basic design of each major subsystem down (the robotic arm, CV algorithm, UI, and software controller), and the necessary block diagrams completed and ready to be reviewed as a team.  We will have to solidify our use case quantitative requirements, implementation plan, risk factors, metrics and validation, and system architecture.  We will also have to configure all of our electronics (Jetson AGX Xavier and the 2 cameras) in the upcoming week.