Lillie’s Status Report for 03/06/2021

This week I worked with my group to get the parts list finalized and submit orders for parts. I also have been researching the best gripper mechanism. I’m deciding between a simple gripper like the first picture or a 4 bar linkage gripper like the second picture.  A 4 bar linkage gripper might be better because we need the gripper to retract a bit vertically so it doesn’t knock over pieces as the gantry moves it. However, a simpler gripper with a rack and pinion mechanism to move it vertically may be easier to implement.

I have also starting working on the web application for interacting with the board. Chessboard.js is an open source API that will make creating the web client much faster. I am waiting to be approved for TechSpark access to send the chess pieces I designed last week to be 3D printed.

This week I plan to continue working on the web client interface and send the chess pieces to be 3D printed after I receive access to TechSpark. I also plan to finalize the gripper design and either 3D print or laser cut it.