Jolin’s status report for 3/27/2021

• I finished coding the polyphony control and I am in the process of debugging the simulation. To make my design more generic (i.e. the number of notes supported at a time is not fixed to 4 but configurable through a parameter), I learned a lot about the generator block in SystemVerilog.
  • My design for the arpeggiator control is naturally divided into two parts. The first part is to store the notes while the arpeggiator key is pressed, and sort them in pitch ascending order. The second part is to play the notes at the desired rate and pattern. This is relatively easy once the first part is set up since it basically uses a counter to determine when a note needs to start and end, where the counter value are calculated based on tempo and rate. Then at each start time, the pattern and mode determine whether a rest or a note will be played, and which note will be played.

I am a little behind schedule but since I left ample time for polyphony control integration, it will be easy to catch up.

Next week I will finish debugging the polyphony control and start coding the arpeggiator control.