Ellen’s Status Report for April 3

This week I worked intensively on the speaker identification subsystem. If you’ve already read the team status report you’ll know that we decided to ditch the speaker diarization packages we had previously identified as possible solutions – crucially, none of the packages provided audio streaming abstractions – and proceed with google cloud speaker diarization, which could be added to the current google speech to text request by simply tweaking a configuration variable. This created the opportunity to integrate the speech to text and speaker ID modules, so I had a lot of code to write and rewrite to both get the speaker ID module integrated and to add in the processing the way we desired it (including the DOA augmentation). Initial tests (using random vocal samples I found online) suggest to me that the system is going to work well and that DOA augmentation is actually going to be quite valuable – but I conducted this testing just yesterday, so the jury is still out, I suppose.

At this point we’re sort of reaching the point of schedule ambiguity. I would consider speaker identification to be finished as of yesterday, which is a good half-a-week early. I don’t have any more individually-assigned coding tasks. Now I’llĀ  be supporting integration through debugging and revision. As for what I know I want to accomplish this upcoming week: I want to rewrite the network-to-transcription queueing interface to accumulate multiple packets (if available) before sending the audio off to transcription. I also want to help Mitchell get transcript streaming fully working.