Tate’s Status Report for 4/24

This week, I captured a lot of pictures of different types of trash and recyclables with our camera mounted in our bin. For each individual item, I took many pictures from many different angles and orientations. I estimate that I probably captured 15-20 pictures per item. These pictures will hopefully help increase the accuracy of our image classifier by providing pictures that directly represent the environment the camera will be seeing when items are thrown into the bin. Our accuracy for the image classifier was pretty low given the existing data set we were using, so adding these pictures in our environment will hopefully help quite a bit. Here is a folder of all the images our image classifier will be using, which includes the pre-existing images and the ones I took: Images.

My progress is on schedule as every system has been integrated.

In the next week, I hope to create a data sheet for my team to record accuracy data of our subsystems and entire system. I plan to work with my team this week to begin collecting data on how accurate our system is by running the system a bunch of times on different items and recording whether the outcome was successful or not.