Jenny Han’s Status Report for 2/20/2021

This week, I did research on what kind of system we could build for our Capstone project.

For the pen, I researched different ways to measure position and relay information with the idea that the pen should be a standalone handheld device. I found some resources online and deciphered the best method based on size and compatibility with each other.

For body expressions, I looked into different ways we could track body positions. After doing some research, I think we could use OpenPose to track body landmarks. I found that OpenPose is best used with Nvidia GPU, so I debated the cost/benefit of allowing users to run the entire system on their personal laptop or having OpenPose be run remotely. I decided on running that remotely to depend less on the user’s computer.

In terms of parts, we researched what the average cost of components were. These components included GPUs, Arduinos, projectors, gyroscopes, etc.

In terms of designing the system, I tried to ideate as much as possible how many different ways we could have the user interact with our product and be very open with new ideas. From the ideation, we were able to come up with some problems and solutions.

Finally, I worked on the presentation. We had created a draft of notes we gathered from our research and I put it together into a coherent presentation that was visually pleasing and informative with as few words as possible. I added speaker notes for our presenter to use in case needed during the presentation. Also, I helped to create the Gantt chart for our schedule.

I think we are on time with the project so far. Our next step is to get started with OpenPose and order parts for the hardware elements. I am currently based in California (but I plan to fly back to Pittsburgh for this project), so I plan on installing and running OpenPose this week and getting the body expressions captured.

Draft Presentation with Notes: Proposal Presentation Draft

Final Presentation: Proposal Final Presentation