4/20 – Weekly Update

4/20 – Weekly Update

Harry

I worked on helping make our CV pipeline more robust. I built an aggregation-tool that helped reduce jitter through our HSV and Edge Detection algorithm outputs. The tool takes statistical averages of the data to exclude outliers, and give the user a smoother output. Perhaps in the future we could use simple machine learning techniques to smooth this out, but currently our statistics techniques are paying off. In addition, I added a calibration mechanism for our HSV input. This should save significant time setting up for various demo environments.

Christina

I worked on using edge detection as an alternative method to detect balls. While before, we found edge detection to be inaccurate, we looking at dramatically changing the threshold. We’re also looking at combining the HSV detection as a method of getting data from two sensor inputs. In addition, I looked into using Logitech Gaming Software as a method of tuning for brightness, color and saturation. Surprisingly enough, the auto-focusing feature of our camera is what was causing our significant jitter – the camera was zooming in and out. With this software, I was able to create a more stable image and tune it manually.

Sam

I worked on extending our ball prediction technique. Using the physics engine I built before, I added functionality for further bank shots (1, 2 and 3 bounces), and predicting other ball bounces. In addition, I’m predicting other ball bounces. I’m also starting on our ball speed detection showing up in the GUI. To start off, I’m showing a predicted end point of the ball to help the user see the result of their shots.

Team

As a team, we finished up implementing our features in anticipation for the next milestone demo. We spent a majority of time improving on our trouble areas, which were specifically jitter on the ball detection. We focused on building redundancy into all our components. This put our original predicted schedule behind by a week as we focused on accuracy, but we are confident we can finalize ball speed detection as our final feature. We’re looking at a strong demo that shows off our accuracy and core features!