James Gualtieri

Team B1

Individual status report

For the week of 2/18, my status continued to develop the standards necessary for our finalized design block diagram, working on the final design presentation, as well engaging in some CAD for the toilet paper sensor

The results for the toilet paper sensor enclosure, here are some updates of the progress:

I have colorized the design to help when referencing various parts. The main functionality of the sensor lies in the axial mount of the toilet paper to allow for using load cells in measuring weight/force to help determine when a user has initiated toilet paper usage as well as how much was actually used. The enclosure relies on 2 load cells, in silver, on either side of the toilet paper, with a large central rod used to mount the toilet paper. The two load cells are mounted both to the base as well as to some brackets for holding the central axis, seen here in yellow. In orange, we have a very simple locking mechanism to make sure the central axis does not rotate about unnecessarily to provide a stable mount for the roll of toilet paper.

In retrospect, I realized that the shape of the physical enclosure is not entirely relevant, so long as it has the ability to hold all the necessary electrical components as well as the roll itself. Not seen in the CAD images, the rest of the electrical components could be confined to an area behind the toilet paper where there is ample space.

As we further explore the exact implementation of the weight sensing used in the final product, modifications will be performed as necessary, but the basic usage of a bar mounted to measure the toilet paper will begin physical prototyping as soon as the parts order arrives.

Based on our initial plans, I am on my track for my own schedule for my progress. For the rest of the team, I believe we are working well to be on track for our plans.

Team Update

Currently the most significant risks we have are our inexperience in working with the battery free sensing solutions. We were able to find a RFID reader within budget for the class, however, so we are confident in our ability to get the final product working.

There were not many changes in the block diagram, but the design has been refined with specifics instead of generic sensor terms.

Here is the updated schedule:

0 Comments