Journal Entry Week 3: Eri

1. What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or photos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).
  • This week, I finished removing the noise of the signal. I used what I did last week,  but instead of just working with the amplitude I found peaks of the Shannon entropy, since it emphasizes the average intensity signals more efficiently, while also attenuating the high and low energy signals.
  • I was also able to classify each peak as S1 or S2, since S1 heart beats have a lower frequency signal than that of S2.
  • One problem I ran into using the Shannon energy was that it sometimes just completely removed some low intensity signals that were not actually noise.
  1. Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?
    Progress is slightly behind schedule, since I was hoping that by the end of this week I could have a clean data that is segmented and filtered to work with. So far my algorithm can define where S1 and S2 is, but it does not segment five full beats yet. I believe this next step will not be that difficult since it just needs to start collecting information at the first S1 and end at the fifth S2, so I will finish working on that by the end of tomorrow, and our team will hopefully be back on schedule.
  2. What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?
    • Realistically, since I have a lot of midterms next week, I do not think I will be able to have a working classification algorithm that determines whether the heart sound is normal or abnormal yet, but this week I will do further research on SVM algorithm and start using the segmented and filtered clean data to experiment with the SVM classification algorithm.