Aditi’s Status Report for 10.21.23

This week I mocked up a finalized design for the iOS app. Since we added the functionality for students to automatically scrape the lectures from Canvas (instead of having to download the PDF themselves, email it to their phone, then upload it to the app), I had to change the design. Here is what it might look like, for a student taking the corresponding 4 lecture classes:

I also had to modify the Swift and Flask server code to allow for the following functionality in the test app: When I click one of the buttons in the iPhone simulator, the Flask server should send the app a PDF corresponding to that lecture. Previously, I only had one button corresponding to one lecture, but I had to modify it to send multiple. I also looked into the Canvas scraping code, but I plan on implementing that next week.

I also spoke with Catherine from Disability Resources, who said that I should be looking into the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), and look into preexisting work on data accessibility. She also thought that we might want to add a feature to let the user know when the slide has changed. I will look into all of this next week.

The other main task I completed before break was working on the design report, which took a lot more time than all of us expected. However, we were able to turn out a good finished product.

I was ahead of schedule for the past couple of weeks, but now I am exactly on schedule. Because I was ahead of schedule, I decided to take on the task of building the Canvas scraper, which I plan to finish next week, along with the integration of the scraper with my Flask server.

The individual question states: What new tools are you looking into learning so you are able to accomplish your planned tasks? I plan on learning more about how to use the Canvas API, since I have never used one before. I need to figure out what headers to send to authenticate the user, and what it will send me back, and how to parse that information. I need to look at some prebuilt Canvas scraping code, which I found here: https://github.com/Gigahawk/canvas-file-scraper/blob/master/README.md and figure out how to adapt it to my use case. I also likely will end up helping Jaspreet with integrating the RaspberryPI with the Flask server, and I have never worked with sending image data from the RPi before so I need to find out how to do that.