Albany’s Status Update 30 OCT 2021

After more extensive talks about how to handle memory for the signals code that is being placed on the STM23, I was advised that for integration purposes, that code hosted on the processor should allocate memory directly onto the stack as opposed to using malloc to allocate memory onto the heap, so I am currently in the process of making the necessary changes to make this switch. I am unsure whether the current memory handling structure will be kept as I am looking into possibly simplifying certain aspects of it as initial testing with the microwave sensors seems to suggest that there will be no need for code to cancel out any noise created by the ground. Prior to starting these changes, this week I finished debugging the code for determining velocity (the main issue was that I had used one convention for the positive direction early in the code and then seemed to accidently reverse the convention in determining what to display to the user). I currently have the code returning distance over velocity (i.e. extrapolated time until impact if current velocity maintained). The code is correct for the limited number of cases I was testing on, and after completing the memory switch my next step will be to retest this correctness with a larger number of test cases and with some real-world data that we can now extract from the sensors. The current code is the processing code for a single sensor and I either in the coming week or the one after that depending on what occurs in the next round of correctness testing also need to make sure my teammates and I have a good idea of how to take the results from the two sensors and transfer this information to the LED display. The single sensor processing code already filters to return distance over velocity only for objects of interest. I envision then that this LED code will determine first which object are seen by both sensors and select them to determine display for the center segment (though distance info might also be needed for this to ensure an object two times the distance going twice the speed of another doesn’t appear to be the same) of LEDs, then the lowest distance over velocity for each segment should be used to determine color. We are slightly behind schedule, but we had a couple weeks of padding built in that give us some leeway. Our current adjusted aim is to integrate everything the week after next, so I hope to have the code usable by then.