Week 3 Update

Week 3 Update

Summary

This week’s main goals were to work on the OpenCV detection and develop key component detection such as shape and color. We worked on a more competent encoding algorithm and the computer generation of the algorithm to allow for further refinement based on the OpenCV results. We also spent some time looking into what the process of scanning and processing the image into a CV-readable format would look like. For next week, we are planning on refining our encoding/decoding algorithm and integrating the algorithm with CV. We also plan on looking at how to get the OpenCV onto the iOS app and whether to scan using a smartphone camera or another Raspberry Pi.

Updated Gantt Chart

Shivani

This week, I made progress on detecting more detailed shapes and images. I worked on color detection for different lighting conditions for maroon, purple, yellow, cyan, and green. In addition, I created a filter to determine if a shape is filled or not. I also refined the initial shape detection from last week so it detects the symbols in a directed order. For this upcoming week, I’ll be working with Snigdha and Caroline to come up with a format to store all of the information about the pattern and finalize everything we need to scan for.

Caroline

This week I got some OpenCV demos running on iOS, and started working on creating our “scanner” app. However, we realized that we may not actually want to use iOS for our scanner, we might want a second Raspberry Pi to scan it back. Next week I will be traveling, but after that I will be working to integrate printing on the Raspberry Pi. We decided that we’d definitely like to print it out, and now it’s a question of whether we’ll be using a raspberry pi with a camera for the scanning as well.

Snigdha

This week, I worked on the encoding/decoding algorithm to generate a visual encoding that was less rudimentary and also more visually pleasing. The algorithm incorporates 4 shapes, 4 colors, and ses of 6 shapes to encode each letter. In addition, the algorithm now includes repetition for more accurate decoding. For next week, in addition to working on the design document, I’ll be working with Shivani to further refine this algorithm and also connect the encoding part to the CV.

“Hello world” encoded using our current algorithm.