Status Update 11/10/2018

Aayush

• Worked on setting things up for the midpoint demo: installing necessary modules on the pi, helping with the bluetooth stuff and timing various algorithms to see if we meet our stated requirements
  • Currently, processing each image for eye detection takes about 1.2 seconds. I tried to reduce the resolution of the input image to speed up the detection
  • I set up the framework for the android app. In particular, the various screens have dummy values set for now but the app is fully functional. For example, the home screen looks like with a small button to lead to the settings menu where the user can select one of two modes: verbose, notifications.
  •  
  • Goal for next week is to start integrating the various parts together since that is one of the hardest parts of our project. I also plan to solder the circuit that Priyanka built. I need to discuss with Angela and figure out the format in which the data will be sent to the app.

Angela

• I tested the heart rate algorithm on real heart rate gathered on Priyanka. This data was gathered from the Sparkfun 30105 sensor. So happy it works!! The heart rate gathered was at a 112 bpm and the calculated heart rate from one algorithm was 114.  The other algorithm I tried got a heart rate of 119. Both calculated heart rates are within our goal of less than 10 bpm error. We put it onto the raspberry pi, and it works fine. The time that it takes for a minute worth of data is 0.04, which is less than our goal of 0.1.
  • We tested the sleep wake algorithm for speed. For 20 minutes of data, it took 0.4 seconds. For each minute, it was 0.02 seconds, which is less than our goal of 0.1.
  • I helped Priyanka debug the data transmission over Bluetooth between the sensors and the Raspberry Pi

Priyanka

• Gathered heart rate data for Angela so that she could test her algorithms. It was gathered by the Sparkfun MAX30105 sensor. I struggled to collect the data into a csv/text file so happy that we can do that now to collect the data
  • Another thing I wanted to accomplish before the midpoint demo was to be able to wirelessly connect the Teensy board with the raspberry pi. By last Sunday, I was able to wirelessly connect the Teensy board with the computer and thought it should have been fairly easy with the Raspberry pi, but I was wrong 🙁
  • I had to change the serial port configurations in the config settings. It took me a while to figure out that the raspberry pi was not able to get the data because of its initial set up. Also, I was sending data to the pi using print statements and using println was not adding a line end to the data being sent so I had to send a “\n” as well in the byte array I was sending.