Sandra’s Status Report 4/27/2024

This week, I worked on setting up an IDE environment on the Jetson Nano for Llama 2 and Node.js. Unfortunately, in the process I found the Jetson used an aarch64 (ARM) instead of a x86_64 (Intel) CPU architecture. As a result, the necessary local  conda environment to enable Llama 2 wasn’t a feasible option. In the initial debugging phase, multiple developers who’d run into the same issue recommended I follow this article as a workaround for a conda-like environment (Archiconda). However, upon trial the Jetson experienced multiple dependency issues that didn’t have simple resolutions after attempting the first 3-4 viable suggestions (like running sudo apt update/upgrade or sudo apt-get autoremove to update/reinstall available libraries). Due to time constraints, I thought it best to follow the previously stated backup plan, working with OpenAI’s API. This would allow me to fine tune the GPT LLM simply without needing to rely on device/OS specific variability within environment and setup. 

here, you can see a few syntactically ASL sentences correctly translated to natural language English sentences.

I was able to successfully install Node on the Jetson and create a simple local web server that displayed webcam input on a browser using the livecam library. As seen to the left, the monitor displays a live stream of the webcam connected to the Jetson. I have limited experience with front end development but will shortly be adding text and interactive features to the display.

In the final stretch of our schedule, my progress is slightly behind where I’d like it to be due to the extensive time spent on debugging and testing multiple avenues for setting up an adequate LLM without needing to pay out of pocket.

By next week, the whole project will need to be fully integrated from end to end on the Jetson and stress tested. For me, that will mean setting up the proper connection with OpenAI on the Jetson and aiding in any integration issues or debugging.