Neeraj’s Status Report for 4/20/24

Over the past week, my main progress has been mainly retraining the classification model and integration of the model into the pipeline, namely with the HPE model.  Since the last classification model was inaccurate, I decided to reprocess all of our WLASL training data and use that to retrain the model. I also did some small testing on a few hyperparameters, namely the learning rate and epoch counts. As such, I got a model with about 74%-75% validation accuracy. From there I focused on developing an inference script based on the spoter evaluation code, which we could use to input data into the model, receive a softmax output, and find the associated label with that. Since then, I have mainly been working with Kavish on integrating the HPE model and the classification model, determining the necessary data transformations we need to go through to translate the output of the HPE model into the input of the classification model. We also have been running latency tests for our components, looking at inference times and frame rates to make sure that we are staying within our design specification’s latencies.

As of right now, I feel like we are a little bit behind schedule, simply because we ran into a couple of unexpected issues during integration. But our main idea for combatting this is simply spending more time working it as a team to figure it out together in a more efficient fashion.

For the next week, my main focus is going to be any further testing and integration we might need alongside continuing final presentation work.

Throughout this project, I feel like one of the greatest sources of knowledge that I found was previous research papers. Especially when looking into video classification and how various models and architectures worked, reading through papers, understanding the purpose the research, and the detail within the papers themselves were a valuable medium. For example, reading between the MUSE-RNN paper, the spoter paper, the spoter-embeddings paper, and other papers that were related to WLASL were really useful to figure out how to tackle this problem in a real time setting. More specifically, they helped me learn about intricacies and relationships between nodes within neural network architectures, whether that be in RNNs or transformers. This even extends to online articles and videos discussing more base level topics that I could learn from to better understand these papers, such as Medium articles describing how various architectures worked was useful for understanding important concepts.