Sandra’s Status Report 4/20/2024

This week I focused on fine tuning the Llama 2 LLM to modify it’s stylistic I/O so it better fits our needs. Words are classified one at a time and output with no memory so a separate program must be responsible for recalling past words and continually interpreting possible sentences. As such, I’ve modified the generation.py file to define theĀ “system” role as an ASL language translator. The system is told “Your objective is to act as an ASL sign language interpreter. You will be given a sequence of words directly transcribed from signed ASL speech and correctly interpret the words in their given order to create full English sentences. You will receive a list of comma separated words as an input from the user and interpret them to your best approximation of a natural language English sentences in accordance with ASL grammar and syntax rules. Words that haven’t been given and exist in ASL should not appear in the sentence. Past word inputs should continue to be interpreted into a sentence with new inputs. Parts of speech like copulas, articles, adverbs, pluralization, and tense markers should be inserted into full English sentences when appropriate.” This behavior synopsis was developed earlier in the semester while gaugingĀ  GPT’s ability to achieve our LLM needs without substantial model modification.Ā 

Additionally, behavior is further defined inĀ generation.py using examples from a small dataset I collected while researching ASL grammar and syntax rules. Some examples include:

last, year, me, went, Spain
I went to Spain a year ago.
house, I, quiet, enter
I enter the house quietly.
yesterday, I, go, date
Yesterday I went on a date
tomorrow, vacation, go, I
I am going on vacation tomorrow.

I would also like to use HRLF (human reinforcement learning feedback) to refine correct/incorrect sentences and test for edge cases that may challenge common SVO sentence structure.

Over the next two weeks I’ll be integrating the final iteration of our LLM translation module with the classification model’s output andĀ  inputting text to our viewing application.

I am a bit behindĀ scheduleĀ due to difficulties with Llama 2 environment setupĀ  needs on Windows. The Llama 2 Git repository is only officially supported on Linux and multiple debugging efforts have led to numerous issues that seem to be related to operating system configuration. It may be relevant to note: my computer has been sporadically entering BSOD and occasionally corrupting files despite factory reset so there may likely be device-specific issues I’m running into that may not have simple/timely solutions. As a result,Ā I felt my time would be better spent looking for alternate implementations. I have tried setting up Llama directly on my Windows computer, on WSL, and through GCP (which ended up being essentially a cloud based host that required pairing and payment to VertexAI rather than OpenAI despite offering $300 free credits for new users). I am currently trying to set up Llama on the Jetson Nano.Ā If issues persist, I will transition the knowledge I’ve gained through troubleshooting and working with Llama 2 onto the OpenAI API LLM.Ā 

In the next week I hope to have successfully set up and tested Llama 2 on the Jetson Nano and have finalized a Node.js local web server.