Neeraj’s Status Report for 4/6/2024

As of right now, we have a lot of individual components that are working, namely the HPE model and the classification transformer. We can take in a video stream and transform that into skeletal data, then take that skeletal data and process it for the model, and then run the model to train and predict words. However, each of these components is separate and needs to be joined together. As such, my current work is pretty set: I need to focus on developing code that can integrate these. While most processes can be explicitly done, some components, like model prediction, are buried within the depths of the spoter model, so while I can make predictions based on skeletal data after training, I need to pull out and formulate the prediction aspect into its code that can be used for live/real-time translation. Therefore, my main goal for the next week or so is to develop this integration code. Afterward, I intend to focus on optimization and improving the classification model further. This would involve retraining with new parameters, new architecture, or different dataset sizes, as that would allow us to better approach our benchmark for translation.

For the components that I have been working on, I have a few verification tests to make sure that the HPE to spoter pipeline works as intended. The first test is simply validation accuracy on the classification model, which I have already been running, to make sure that the overall accuracy we get for the validation set is high enough, as this would signify that our model is well enough generalized to be able to translate words to a usable accuracy. I would also be latency testing the inference time of the classification model to make sure that our inference time is within the necessary unit latency we set out in our design requirements. As for when the HPE and classification model are integrated, I plan to run another accuracy test on unseen data, whether that be from a video dataset or a created dataset of our own, to test generalized accuracy.

As of right now, I am mostly on schedule. I anticipate that integration will be difficult, but that is also a task that I will not be working on alone since the entire team should be working on integration together. As such, I hope that working with the team on this will speed up the progress. Further debugging and optimization should be something that I run in the background and analyze the results later to determine whether we should further optimize our model.