Neeraj’s Status Report for 3/9/24

For the past couple of weeks, my main focus has been completing the design report. This mainly involved writing up the design trade-offs and testing/verification sections, as well as wrapping up other sections that needed to be finished. The main point of focus for me throughout this was the justification of our choices and making sure that every choice and metric we used had a valid reason behind it. From a more technical standpoint, I have spent more time developing the RNN and looking into the possibility of using MUSE-RNN, which would be interesting to develop and effective for improving accuracy. As of right now, I have the majority of a basic GRU-based RNN developed, compiling code I could find from outside resources before working on implementing the MUSE-RNN architecture, as I want to check our current metrics before diving into further complicating the architecture. I have also been experimenting with various word-to-sentence combinations to test different LLM prompts to not fall behind on that front either. I started with a basic “translate these words [_,…,_] from ASL into an English sentence” prompt, which has a lot of variation in response, not only in the sentence itself but also in the format of the response we get from the model. Since this is a very simple prompt, I am planning on utilizing various papers and studies, such as the Japanese-to-English paper that I referenced beforehand, to further develop a more complex prompt. I have not been able to spend as much time on this as I would have liked to, so to not fall behind, I am planning to focus on finishing this relatively quickly or get help from my groupmates, as I also want to focus on the RNN development.

My plan as of right now is to try developing our RNN training cases by running our dataset through our HPE model and then training the base RNN model that we are using. I am also planning on starting the MUSE-RNN architecture separately. I also want to meet up with my groupmates at some point to focus in on developing our prompt for the LLM and see if we can finish as much of that component as fast as possible.

I believe that I am mostly on schedule, if not slightly behind due to experimenting with our model architecture. As aforementioned, I plan on compensating for this by getting help from my groupmates on the LLM portion of things, as I believe that doing some intensive research on prompt engineering should give us substantial progress, especially in terms of achieving desired formatting and answer structure. This would give me more time to focus on developing MUSE-RNN if we want to pursue that architecture.