Kobe Individual Status Report 4/20

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or photos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).
This week I integrated yolov8 and VSLAM together with hardware acceleration enabled. I initially tried to launch the launch files of both packages together but I pivoted to just combining the VSLAM container with the yolov8 nitros container in order to have hardware acceleration and have both packages work with a single realsense camera node. This integration is pretty complex and took the vast majority of my time. Earlier during the week I was also focused on testing out VSLAM and seeing how we can use pose data to keep track of our orientation.
Slam and Object Detection working
Is your progress on schedule or behind? 
We are admittedly behind schedule, mainly due to the various intricacies in ISAAC ros hardware acceleration that we’ve run into. The issues we’ve seen are not very well documented because of how new Isaac ROS but we’ve been able to overcome them with a bit more time. To make up for falling behind in schedule, we are all working around the clock for our project.
What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?In this next week I want to have our entire system running together with our state machine. I want to integrate the search algorithm with our pose data from VSLAM and then ensure that the hexapod has the proper behavior for our search and rescue tasks.

As you’ve designed, implemented and debugged your project, what new tools or new knowledge did you find it necessary to learn to be able to accomplish these tasks? What learning strategies did you use to acquire this new knowledge?

Understanding ROS and specifically Isaac ROS has been vital to our project and making the various parts of our hexapod software work together. Another skill that we learned and needed was being able to delve deep into documentation in order to figure out what we needed to do in order to resolve various software issues. We also found the use of docker containers to be very important for running Isaac ROS, this took a lot of trial and error to acquire new knowledge.