Bhavya’s Status Report for 2/10/24

Given that this was the proposal presentation week. Given that we still had a few loose ends in the idea, I helped to define/tighten the scope and use case of our project.  I also helped Jae a little with the slides for our presentation and made the Gantt chart to set the timeline for our work. Given that I will be tackling camera-based detection, my tasks for this week were:

• Selecting a camera stand that we could place at a reasonable distance from the pool table and still have an overhead view of the game. There are a few that I have selected.
  • Selecting a camera that fits our requirements (capturing footage at a sufficient rate and quality to allow for accurate edge detection of the stick and the balls on a pool table)
  • Doing some research on OpenCV. I read up on the process that Canny edge detection and looked at other similar projects that have handled tracking on a pool table using OpenCV.
  • Reading up on pool rules and watching the footage to make myself more familiarized with what types of edge cases we could face.