Thomas’s Status Report for 2/24/24

This week, I presented on behalf of the group for the design review. However, we ended up pivoting away from the pool referee system after the presentation when we got the news that it would be too hard to do with 260 fps cameras. Following this development, I started working on the design requirements for our new project which focuses on tracking a racecar with cameras and auto-generating a livestream from the multiple camera feeds. I wrote around 4 design requirements for each use-case requirement of the new racecar camera livestream project. These design requirements together specify the system at an abstract level and also help us choose a solution approach with the appropriate constraints in mind. One thing I focused in on was requirements for the camera motors, since this will help us in our decision between whether we choose to use servo motors or stepper motors. The motors need to turn smoothly for a good livestream experience, but they also need to be able to start quickly and stop accurately to account for sudden acceleration or deceleration from the racecar.

We are behind schedule since we’ve pivoted to the camera racecar livestream project idea. To catch up to the project schedule, we’ll have to work in parallel on the design document, including the design requirements, solution approach, and testing, while also ordering the parts and doing trade studies to begin the process of actually implementing the system. In the next week, I hope to have trade studies for at least the four major components of our system, leading up to a finalized design document.