Matt’s Status Report for 04/06/2024

This week I wrapped up implementing RRT for the FPGA. Most of this was simply porting the C code we wrote and adapting it slightly for HLS, but we had big changes in our code wherever dynamic memory allocation was done (since memory can’t be dynamically allocated in hardware). The main change had to do with A*, since A* uses a queue to keep track of a frontier of nodes to search next. For the FPGA we swapped out A* for SMA* (Simple Memory Bounded A*), which requires a fixed-size queue. To do this, I implemented a circular, bounded generic queue.

However I was not able to get this implementation done before interim demo, as the documentation for the algorithm is poor. In fact, I am not sure if it is a good idea to pursue this algorithm due to how small its presence is on the internet (the algorithm comes from one paper; the Wikipedia page has the paper as its only reference).

Regarding the Kria board, I also met with Andrew this past week to debug why I am not able to build with Vitis for the Kria. He gave me some tutorials to try, and I connected him with ECE IT to debug the issue further.

Verification & Validation

During our interim demo, running our software RRT* on a real-sized test case (roughly the size of a cube with sides 4 feet long) took 20 minutes. Our current RRT* is heavily unoptimized, and we expect it to run much faster after some changes.

We don’t want to over-optimize because a) the focus of our project is the FPGA version and b) a slower SW version means more speedup from the FPGA version. We will have to verify the correctness of our paths—i.e. that the path generated on the FPGA is close enough to the one generated by our SW version. This will be done by calculating deltas between both paths and making sure they are marginal. For validation, we will be measuring time elapsed for the full robotic arm pipeline, as well as the time elapsed for running just RRT on each system. We can then do comparisons to calculate speedup.