Simon’s Status Report for 02/10/2024

This week, I worked on the proposal presentation slides, mostly contributing to the use-case requirements, technical challenges, and scope. I also focused on doing research into FPGA-based hardware acceleration to gain a general understanding of how it applies to machine learning and computer vision so that Brian and I can design our RTL implementation next week. From our readings, Brian and I decided on a DE10-Standard FPGA with a DE10-Lite as backup if the DE10-Standard is not available in the inventory. We also are planning to use the OpenCL framework for our FPGA development. (See Brian’s status report for more details).

In terms of progress, I feel like I am slightly behind schedule because of uncertainty as to which component(s) of the CV algorithm to speed up using an FPGA. Consequently, I haven’t figured out how to start designing the datapath, which Brian and I are scheduled to complete this upcoming week. However, we plan to have a team meeting either on Sunday or Monday where we will discuss potential CV algorithms and how an FPGA can be incorporated. This will hopefully give Brian and I a good idea of what to needs to be included in the datapath design.

For next week, I hope to have a completed plan for our datapath and begin looking into how to send/receive data between the FPGA to the CPU.