Tjun Jet’s Status Report for April 20, 2024

In the past two weeks, I worked on creating an application for the users to select their ideal spin and velocity of the  ball, and also worked together with Andrew to improve the cue stick detection and physics for spin collision. 

In order to make our project more interactive, we decided to add in a web application for users to select where they intend to hit the ball (to provide for spin), and their intended strength of the ball. After the user has indicated their preferences, the user will execute their shot. Upon executing the shot our system will provide recommendations on whether the user should hit it harder, softer, or whether their shot was good. Based on the final location of the ball, we will also provide recommendations on the spin that the user provided. 

This week, I contributed to the front end application to allow the users to select the spin that they want. The front end application will also display a video of the current predictions. Here is a picture of what the application looks like: 

I also spent a good portion of time understanding the physics equations that were behind cue ball spin. As we weren’t able to call a physics engine directly in our implementation, we used the physics equations that were associated directly with the engine. The engine we used was PoolTool where we referenced these equations. Understanding these equations helped us to implement the ball spin.

Here are what some of the equations looked like:

Two things that I had to really learn and pick up in order to accomplish the task of working in a team project such as in capstone, was Github and Reading Documentation. Firstly, Github was an extremely important tool that helped us for version control. Initially, we realized that it was difficult for us to work on the same codebase but merging everything together at the same time. We definitely ran into a lot of issues like Git version conflicts, us not having well coordinated commits. As we went along, we got better and understood how github worked and we eventually improved overtime. This was important in the efficiency of accomplishing these tasks. 

The second thing that I found really useful is to read documentation quickly and sieve out important information. This was very important when we were exposed to new material like using cv2 functions and other library functions. Along with github, these are things that are not explicitly taught in a class, but I feel are very important and necessary knowledge to have as ECE engineers. Apart from the technical knowledge gained from capstone, these were definitely two skills I valued most from this experience.

Given that we have fully implemented our physics model before spin physics, we are currently on track for whatever we want to accomplish for this week. We have analyzed the different equations for spin physics and are almost complete with implementing the physics, which we will test out tomorrow. We are a little bit behind on the trajectory verification, and that is the last bit of testing and verification that we will have to do in our meeting tomorrow.