Andrew’s Status Report for April 20, 2024

This week consisted of a lot of optimization, improvements, and cleaning up on my end. This primarily had to do with: 1) cue stick detection, 2) incorporating spin into our physics engine and displaying it. For cue stick detection, we realized that the stick trajectory was not very stable, and I tried many, many different ways of improving the cue stick detection. Ultimately, what worked the best was a combination of color masking, Gaussian Blur, contour detection, and enclosing rectangle + math. The cue stick detection is now significantly more stable and accurate compared to before; this was huge for our system, as the cue stick detection is a crucial part. If the stick detection is off, then the usefulness of the system decreases significantly. The second part Tjun Jet and I worked on was incorporating spin into our physics engine. Specifically, we took a deep dive on the physics of pool ball spin. We incorporated this into our physics engine when we case on both ball-wall and ball-ball collisions. Further, we also take in information about the user’s strike (location of strike + speed) and feed it into our physics engine. Our physics engine uses this input to modify the predicted trajectory in real-time. By having this web application interface link directly to the physics engine, the user is able to see in real-time how spin will affect the ball’s trajectory.

Our progress is on-schedule. In the coming week, we will be looking to finish our Final Presentation, present it, and make some last-minute touch-ups to our project. On a very practical level, I got a very hands-on introduction to computer vision applied to a specific problem. More on the theoretical side, I also had to refresh myself with physics and take a deep dive into the physics of pool. I knew almost nothing about computer vision coming into this project, and I didn’t have enough time to fully understand the theory behind everything by reading textbooks or taking a course. Instead, I found research papers, projects, videos, etc that had some parts overlapping with ours (or what we wanted to do), and I consumed that content. This is the learning strategy I took on to acquire this new knowledge, and I realized how important it is to be able to limit the scope of what you are learning in order to accomplish the tasks at hand. If I resorted to a traditional textbook or course, it would not be possible to finish our system in time. Much of the learning I did was on the fly, hands on.