Ifeanyi’s Status Report for 04/27/2024

This week, I worked on localization accuracy, localization smoothing, and orientation estimation and smoothing. Additionally, I worked with the team testing in various settings around campus. For the localization accuracy, I made a filter for the estimated position that didn’t allow it to change at a rate faster than a maximum speed of 2m/s. That is, if we are estimated to be somewhere, and one second later, the system says we are now 5m away, we will reject this data point. This greatly increased the accuracy/stability of the localization. For the orientation, I programmed a check for how far we’ve moved since our last “sample point”. When this distance reaches a threshold (of 2m), we collect another sample point. Then, we estimate our angle of movement to be the angle of the vector from our previous sample point to the current one. To smoothen the orientation reading even further, we used the gyroscope to rotate the user on the display in-between sample point updates. Finally, to smoothen the localization readings a bit, I added a velocity estimator, that would time the position estimates to calculate a predicted velocity, which we can then use to move the user on the map in-between location updates.

My progress is on schedule as I was to revamp the orientation estimation this week as well as generally test and fix things that were found to be wrong or could perform better (faster or more accurately).

Next week, I plan to complete the final testing with the team, to make sure everything works, especially in the conditions that we expect for the demo.