Ifeanyi’s Status Report for 04/20/2024

These past two weeks, I mainly worked on using the IMU to integrate the position of the tag device, so that this position estimate and the one given by the anchors could form a complementary filter, and hopefully give us far more accurate localization results. This was to work by calibrating the device at rest to measure the gravity vector, then rotating this gravity vector as the gyroscope measured angular velocity. With a constantly updated gravity vector, we can then subtract this acceleration from that measured by the accelerometer to detect the non-gravity acceleration of the tag device, which we can then double integrate to get the relative position. However, after giving this a lot of work, and trying many different measuring, filtering, calibration, and integration methods, I was unable to find a way to integrate the user’s position in any remotely accurate fashion. the main issue lied with the gyroscope, which produced small errors in the gravity vector rotation, but this even this small error meant the gravity wasn’t always being subtracted properly, and so led to tons of spurious acceleration that built up a humongous error very quickly. Additionally, I helped the rest of the team do quite a bit of testing and benchmarking of the system ahead of the final presentations.

According to the schedule, my progress is on track, since all work on the tag device (my main slice of the project) is done, and we are now solely in the testing phase, trying out the device and tweaking what we can for higher accuracy or greater responsiveness where possible.

In this coming week, I plan to just work with the rest of the team to continue this testing, and continue implementing whatever tweaks we can find to make to help the system work as well as possible for the final demo.

Also, to learn new things that will help with the project, I usually look for the quickest way to “get my hands dirty” with the particular technology or algorithm, whether it be an online demo or some sort of starter code. I run that code over and over again, playing around with it and tweaking different things to see how the technology or algorithm reacts to get an intuitive understanding of how this thing really works and how to control it.